Whether you know your neighbours or not.
Whether you know your neighbours or not, if either of you is considering carrying out construction work then this should get you talking.
This is especially important if you want to comply with the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 This covers areas such as party walls, excavation and construction work on or near the junction between properties and provides owners with rights and obligations to other owners.
It's a complex area that is fraught with potential problems and not one to approach lightly or without the help of an expert.
How William Martin can help
We have extensive experience of the Act and carrying out the role of the
- Surveyor acting on behalf of the building owner
- Surveyor acting on behalf of the adjoining owner
- Third surveyor (which arbitrates disputes between surveyors)
Where appointed by the:
- building owner - we can advise, prepare and serve all requisite notices and issue appropriate Party Wall Awards under the Act.
- where appointed by the adjoining owner - we can advise and arrange to receive notices, prepare and serve all necessary party wall counter notices, and Party Wall Awards under the Act.
We can also offer advice on the extent and limitations of the respective owners rights and obligations under the Act, help where there are changes of ownership and dicuss the remedies if the Act isn't complied with.